FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)



Please consult the list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below before contacting the student advisor



Q: I will start this autumn semester, which courses do I have to choose?

  • You will find a list of available modules on our website. Just click on Modules AS 2017 (this is updated annually).
  • Study plans can be found under New BALET students (60 and 120 credits) and New BASI students (50 credits DAES I).

Q: How do I obtain credits from the lecture courses in modules BA4 and BA5; do I have to take an exam?

  • For BALET students, regular attendance alone will earn you 3 ECTS credits.

Q: Do I have to take the exam for a Lecture?

  • BASI students, MOBILITY students and students taking a Lecture as Softskills (CTC), need to take the exam.

Q: What does the Module One exam consist of?

  • The module exam in Module One: Foundations consists of three distinct components. You have to pass each component to validate the entire module exam (worth 6 ECTS). The grade of the module exam combines all three parts. Each of the three components of the exam is linked to one of the courses you took as part of that module (1 Lecture course in Linguistics + 1 Lecture Course in Philology + 1 Proseminar in Linguistics or Philology).

Q: What does the Module Two exam consist of?

  • The module exam in Module Two: Foundations consists of a final exam in Spring term (exception for AS 2017 and SS 2018).

Q: What do I do if two classes take place at the same time?

  • BALET (120 credits) students should give priority to courses within their major study plan, because these need to be completed within 4 semesters.

Q: For module 3 I need two WAP and two PE classes; when can I start them?

  • Your Writing for Academic Purposes (WAP) classes have to be started in fall.
  • Your Proficiency English (PE) classes may be started in spring or in fall.

Q: As an MA student, can I take introduction lecture courses in Linguistics and Philology?

  • Yes.

Q: How do I register for exams, classes and papers?

  • Register via GESTENS.
  • Please note that there is a deadline for registration.
  • Please also note that you need to register both for the lecture course and the exam (or both for the proseminar and the proseminar paper) if you want to gain all credits associated with that class.

Q: When do I need to register for the BA thesis or the Comprehensive Oral Exam or the Applied Project?

  • Students need to consult their supervisors before registering for either option. They need to register on GESTENS at the beginning of a semester and submit the thesis/project or take the exam at the end of the semester.

Q: Who should I contact regarding course equivalencies and credit transfers from other Universities?

  • The European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) applies within Europe. Discuss the course you intend to take abroad with the relevant Fribourg professors before you leave. Hand your transcript to the secretary when you return to Fribourg.

Q: Where do I find information (forms, letters, etc.) about study abroad programmes and existing partnerships with UNIFR?

  • All information about student exchange programmes is available on the website of International Relations Office. Please get in touch with them directly to discuss your options.
  • Our domain is affiliated with the following academic institutions abroad:

    • University of Arizona, Tucson (USA)
    • University of Mississippi (USA)
    • University of Nebraska at Omaha (USA)
    • Lancaster University (UK)
    • University of Birmingham (UK)

Q: When can I go abroad for an exchange semester:

  • Ideally, when BA modules 1, 2 and 3 are completed.

Q: What can I do with a degree in English?

  • There are countless career options open to English graduates. Over the course of your degree programme you will acquire a number of transferable skills and these will open up opportunities in careers such as journalism, advertising, publishing, editing and public relations. You may also wish to consider becoming a librarian, working in museums or in cultural affairs. You will develop your skills of analysis during your degree in English and these will equip you for further study in fields such as law, politics and diplomacy. And of course, English graduates make excellent teachers.